PropertyValue
rdf:type
rdfs:label
  • SdKfz 254
rdfs:comment
  • The SdKfz 254, fully designated the SdKfz 254 Lechter Gepanzerter Beobachtungskraftwagen, and originally known as the RR-7 and later the RK-7, or Räder-Kettenfahrgestell 7, was a light armored car/half-track combination used by Austria prior to, and by Germany during World War II.
  • The Sdkfz 254 was a fully tracked armoured scout car employed by Nazi Germany during World War II. From 1936, the vehicle was developed under the designation RR-7 by the Saurer company as an artillery tractor for the Austrian army. Testing was completed and in 1937, an order was placed for the tractors and they were manufactured in 1938. About 12 vehicles were made prior to Anschluss (the annexation of Austria by Nazi Germany in 1938).
owl:sameAs
Length
  • 4.56
  • 4.56 m
dcterms:subject
dbkwik:military/property/wikiPageUsesTemplate
dbkwik:world-war-2/property/wikiPageUsesTemplate
Number
  • 140
Range
  • 500.0
vehicle range
  • 500
Origin
  • Austria
Speed
  • 60
  • 60.0
Armor
  • 6
Affiliation
  • AustriaGermany
Role
  • Light armored reconnaissance vehicle
Name
  • SdKfz 254
Type
  • Armored scout car/half-track
  • Tracked/wheeled armoured scout car
Width
  • 2.020000
  • 132.0
primary armament
  • 1
Weight
  • 6.400000
Height
  • 1.88
  • 1.88 m
Manufacturer
  • Saurer
Armour
  • 6
Used by
  • Austria, Nazi Germany
Engine
  • 1
  • Saurer CRDv 4cyl, diesel
engine power
  • 70.0
is vehicle
  • yes
Variants
  • artillery observation vehicle
Crew
  • 7
Armament
  • 1
Year
  • 19361938
abstract
  • The Sdkfz 254 was a fully tracked armoured scout car employed by Nazi Germany during World War II. From 1936, the vehicle was developed under the designation RR-7 by the Saurer company as an artillery tractor for the Austrian army. Testing was completed and in 1937, an order was placed for the tractors and they were manufactured in 1938. About 12 vehicles were made prior to Anschluss (the annexation of Austria by Nazi Germany in 1938). Manufacture of the vehicle continued after the Anschluss. Records indicate that a total of 140 units were built with the new designation RK-7 (Räder-Kettenfahrgestell), although they were named as SdKfz 254 by the Wehrmacht. The vehicle featured a wheel-cum-track layout and a diesel motor. The wheels were lowered when it was used on roads and retracted for tracked movement cross-country. A number saw service with the Afrika Korps, serving as artillery observation vehicles after being fitted with a radio and rail antenna.
  • The SdKfz 254, fully designated the SdKfz 254 Lechter Gepanzerter Beobachtungskraftwagen, and originally known as the RR-7 and later the RK-7, or Räder-Kettenfahrgestell 7, was a light armored car/half-track combination used by Austria prior to, and by Germany during World War II.